Note: Mayors Against Illegal Guns has not yet taken a position on these bills.
Anti-Gun Trafficking Penalties Enhancement Act, S.77 (Sen. Schumer)
- Overturns the Tiahrt Amendments and requires ATF to provide trace data to local governments.
- Removes the limit on how often ATF can inspect gun dealers.
- Increases federal penalties for gun trafficking.
Detectives Nemorin and Andrews Anti-Gun Trafficking Act (Rep. King) *
- Requires the Department of Justice to issue reports on the flow of crime guns, including the names of every dealer who has more than 50 crime gun traces a year.
- Increases federal penalties for certain crimes involving the trafficking or possession of illegal guns.
- Expands the scope and funding of Project Safe Neighborhoods, a federally sponsored collaborative initiative against gun violence.
NICS Improvement Act, H.R. 297 (Rep. McCarthy)
- Improves the federal computer system used to run background checks on people who buy guns from licensed dealers.
- Seeks to make more of the background information that states maintain, such as state convictions and restraining orders, electronically accessible.
Gun Show Loophole Closing Act, H.R. 96 (Rep. Castle)
- Requires all gun dealers to conduct background checks for any firearm sold at a gun show.
- Increases criminal penalties for straw sales and recordkeeping violations by gun dealers.
* Expected to be introduced.